Wednesday 7 September 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - ALYSSA ROSE IVY


 
What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
I’m Alyssa Rose Ivy. I was born in New York and I now live in North Carolina 
What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest (and first) book is Beckoning Light, the first in the Afterglow Trilogy.  It’s a YA fantasy with both action and romance told from the dual perspective of a brother and sister.
Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
The next book in the Afterglow TrilogyPerilous Light will be out this spring. I also have a variety of other projects in mind for 2012, including a paranormal romance set in New Orleans that does not center around vampires.
How long have you been writing? and who or what inspired you to write?
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. As a child I loved creating imaginative worlds and the habit never disappeared.
Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Yes, I am always looking for new readers and reviews.
How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
Originally, Beckoning Light was the title of one chapter of the book but my husband suggested we use it for the overall title.  I loved the idea because it represents the beginning of the adventure for the main characters.  The cover of Beckoning Light is of the wrought iron gate that serves as the entry point into the hidden world, and therefore the entry into the adventure that the characters face.  Kristen Lavelle of Williston Letter Co. designed the cover based on a photo of a gate in Savannah, GA.
Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Although none of my characters are completely based on real people, many are influenced by people I know. One of the narrators, Kevin, has a lot of my older brother in him as well as my brother-in-law.
Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
My biggest influences are Tolkien and Jane Austen. I have always been drawn to books that mix the genres of fantasy and romance and hope to successfully mix the two in my books.
Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
After holding out for a while, I have become a huge fan of ebooks. There is just something about the convenience and readability.  I use my kindle most of the time, but I do also enjoy taking out books from the library.
What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
My favorite book is Moby Dick and I have read it many times.  Melville captures obsession in a way no other author has, and his prose is beautifully written.
Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
I think it depends on whether the essence of the book is translated well into the movie. One of my favorite classes in college was a film and lit course and I love to see how books are translated into film. My favorite transfer is probably Big Fish, because in film I found so many deeper layers to the story that I didn’t see at first in the book. I was really disappointed in the adaptation of Eragon, the film in no way compared to the book.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I just finished an ebook called Long Days in Paradise by Amos T. Fairchild. I had tons of fun reading it and am looking forward to the next in the series. I plan to start reading the Maze Runner tonight in hardcover (I took it out of the library).

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
There are so many new authors out there I love. I would suggest that readers keep an open mind and give new authors a try if their books appeal to them.
What do you think about book trailers?
I don’t have a book trailer right now but I think they can be a great promotional tool. I have seen some really great ones recently.
What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
My advice for writers is to write what you enjoy and whatever inspires you.
Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I write under my first and middle names.

Where can readers follow you?
Readers can follow me on my blog, Goodreads, Facebook and Twitter. I’m always excited to hear from readers.  
Your blog details?
Your web site ?
Your facebook page?
Your Goodreads author page?
Your Twitter details?
And any other information you wish to supply?

You can find Beckoning Light at:
Amazon U.S.:
Amazon UK:
Barnes & Noble:

Thank you for taking the time to take part in this interview allowing us a glimpse into your writing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment