Thursday 24 November 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - DARLENE JONES





  1. What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
EMBATTLED - What if you could walk into a war and stop it? Em did. And that was just the beginning.
  1. Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
The first one was hardest. I spent about a year playing with the story in my head at night when I suffered from insomnia. Once I had it on paper, I realized that I needed help to refine it so I attended writers’ workshops and conferences. I rewrote and rewrote and then found a writing partner, who is a professional copywriter. She’s awesome.
  1. What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I have two more books coming and a fourth in the works. They continue the story that starts in Embattled.
  1. What genre would you place your books into?
This is a difficult question for me to answer as my novels are cross-genre. For men I say sci-fi adventure (but not all the technical stuff) and for women I say romance.
  1. Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
I think the third is my favorite because I’ve gone in a bit of a different direction with it. Also, because the more I have written, the easier it has become, so writing the third one was more fun.
  1. Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Em will always be first in my heart. And Yves is the ideal man. But really I like all my characters. They have become a sort of “family.”
  1. What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
Characters that the reader cares about and a plot line that keeps you wanting to find out what happens next.
  1. Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
I haven’t deliberately based characters on people I know, but when I read what I’ve written I sometimes see bits of that coming through. I have used events from my own life in my novels.
  1. Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
Oh dear, I think an author could always make changes, but if you don’t stop rewriting at some point and get your book out there, no one will ever get to read it.
  1. Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
My book is available in paperback and ebook formats. I recently bought a Kindle and love it. Not sure why I waited so long to get it. I think all books that I buy will now be ebooks. But I have a bookshelf of old favorites that I will always treasure and if I came across a book that really touched me deeply, I’d want it in print form.
  1. What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?
“Mixed Marriage” by Elizabeth Cadell. You can read about it on my website on the etcetera page. I’ve read it about half a dozen times and I know I will read it again in the future.  
  1. Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
Watch for Anneli Purchase. She has her first book coming out soon. A seemingly calm little story that has you on the edge of your seat by the end.

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details? http://emandyves.wordpress.com
Your web site ? www.emandyves.com

BLURB taken from Amazon
Em sits at her desk, her hands soaked in blood. No wounds, no pain, and no idea where the blood came from. The reds and greens swirling across her computer screen scream jungle battle. She’s certain she was there. Fighting through the jungle to stop a battle, storming into a courtroom to save the accused, facing a firing squad of armed ruffians… Are her “three wishes” coming true?

And, Yves? He is there to arm her with special powers, to send her into battle, to watch over her. His first assignment as a supreme power is to clean up the mess on Earth without going down there himself. Meeting his superior’s expectations is a huge challenge. Falling in love with Em threatens to ruin everything.

Thankyou Darlene, for taking the time away from your writing schedule to take part in this interview !

No comments:

Post a Comment