Tuesday 29 November 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - GARY GOLDSTEIN



What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
  Gary Goldstein, from Brooklyn, New York.  I have lived here my entire life!

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
 Originally, I wanted to be a sportswriter or sportscaster, if I couldn't be a professional athlete first!

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"? 
 When I was a writer, sports editor, and then editor-in-chief of Kingsborough Community College's student newspaper, "Scepter," from 1979-1981.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My book is "Jew in Jail," and it is the true story of the nearly six years I spent in state prison in New York for robbery, due to my past addictions to alcohol, drugs and gambling, and my road to recovery.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
"Jew in Jail" was self-published through CreateSpace.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
  I have another book on the horizon, but first would like to continue promoting and publicizing "Jew in Jail," since it sends a powerful message about recovery from addiction and loss of self-esteem, which I strongly feel can benefit everyone.  I am also a motivational & inspirational speaker, and want to continue that too.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I graduated from Long Island University in 1983 - where I wrote for the college newspaper - with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Journalism, and have been writing even before that time (Kingsborough Community College), for a total of roughly 30 years now.  However, it was the untimely death of my beloved late father, Irving Goldstein, who sadly and unexpectedly passed away on January 23, 1999, while I was still on Rikers Island, waiting to be sent to an upstate New York prison, that ultimately made me decide to write "Jew in Jail" in my father's honor.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
 I came up with the title myself, and CreateSpace designed the cover of my book after consulting with me.

How do you market/promote your books? 
 CreateSpace sent hundreds of press releases out to the media after publication, but, now, as a self-published author, I handle all the marketing and promotion myself via social media and other methods.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller?
One that holds the reader's attention, either due to crisp, concise writing, the revelation of an important message, or compelling characters, all of which I believe "Jew in Jail" does remarkably well!

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
GREAT question Jeanz!  It doesn't happen to me often, but when it does, I merely turn on some soothing music, and that usually relaxes me, clears my head, and allows me to continue writing.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
Listen to music, as I just mentioned, work out, jog, play sports, or watch television (usually comedies!).

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you? 
"Jew in Jail" is MY true story, so the answer is a definite YES to both!

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I prefer the paperback, because there is just something about physically holding a book that I feel a close connection to.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Some do, and some don't, but I feel that mine will, because my message of overcoming one's past addictions and lack of self-esteem is so overpowering.  I think the Harry Potter movies speak for themselves, while To Kill a Mockingbird was one that I was disappointed with.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback) 
I am reading "Life Is Not A Stage" by Florence Henderson (Mrs. Brady of the Brady Bunch TV Show!).  I am reading (and enjoying) the paperback copy, because I prefer to hold the book physically in my hands.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
No I dont, because there are many, many people like myself who prefer to hold the actual book.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
 I think teachers do an incredible job with the resources and budget constraints they work under, but I am one who thinks that there is always more that could be done.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
To never stop pursuing your dreams, and continue to do anything and everything you can to get noticed and apply your craft.

      Readers can follow me on:
          Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/jewinjail
         
          Goodreads Author Page: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11188557-jew-in-jail











No comments:

Post a Comment