Saturday 26 November 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - KENNETH G BENNETT




What is your name ,where were you born and where do you live now?
Kenneth G Bennett, Born in Phoenix Arizona, USA. Currently live on an Island in the Puget Sound of
Washington State (A 30 minute ferry ride from Seattle) The name of the Island is Bainbridge.


Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Yes, that's all I ever wanted to do and it's how I made my living the past 20 years or so.


When did you first discover yourself as a "writer" ?
I've made my living as an advertising copywriter and creative director, so I've considered myself a writer for a while. The Gaia Wars is my published novel.


Do you do another job as well as your writing work?
Advertising creative director/writer. My advertising work has won numerous awards, including an Emmy, Six Clio Awards and a Radio Mercury Gold Award.


What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in 20 words or less what would you say?
The Gaia Wars is a lightening fast tale set in a rugged wilderness. A cross between Last Of The Mohicans and The Twilight Zone.


How long does it usually take you to write a book from the original idea to finishing it?
One Year.


What can we expect from you in the future? ie more books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
My next book is an adult thriller titled "Exodus 2018". I hope to have it finished by April 2012.


Do you have plans for a new book? will this be part of a series?
The Gaia Wars is a YA novel, it is my first published novel. The second book of The Gaia Wars series, Battle for Cascadia and it will be available on Amazon and elsewhere on 10th December.


What genre would you place your books into?
YA, Sci-fi, Action Adventure. My newest book is an Adult Paranormal Thriller.


Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so which one and why?
The Gaia Wars is my favourite because of the way fans are reacting to it. I've got lots of nice reviews on Amazon and Goodreads and it is a thrill to see that people are enjoying the book and asking for the next in the series.
By the way, On October 1st, 2011, The Gaia Wars hit #87 on Amazons "Best Selllers in Children's Action & Adventure list" I'd like to say a huge "thank you!" to all the wonderful readers giving this book a try!


Where do you get your plot idea's from?
My best idea's come to me while hiking in the wilderness. We're fortunate to have 3 national parks within 100 miles of Seattle. I try to get into the Back Country often.


Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?
Yes definitely!


Do you gift books to reviewers?
Definitely.


Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Of Course.


What was the toughest/best review you have had for your book/books?
I love the new review from the blog "Fantasy Cookie" http://fantasycookie.blogspot.com/2011/10/review-of-gaia-wars-by-kenneth-g.html
I also like the review from "BookWorm Castle" http://bookwormcastle.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/gaia-wars-when-your-world-is-in-danger-how-hard-do-you-fight/

What do you think makes a really good/best seller?
The pace. Keep it moving! Best example I can think of is best selling author  Lee Child. The guy is amazing at setting a break neck pace in his books.


Which format of books do you prefer? (hardback, paperback or ebook)
All of them!


Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is your favourite/worst book to movie transfer?
"The Lovely Bones" was amazing as a book and a film. Most books don't translate that well.


Are there any new authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? And why should we watch out for them?
Terry Guiliano Long. I love her new book "In Leah's Wake"


Is there anything in your book/books that you would change now if you could and what would it be?
No, I'm pretty happy how it turned out.


What do you think of book trailers?
I do not have one. If the concept behind the trailer is strong and the production values are there, it can spur reader interest.


What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
The best single piece of advice I can give came to me via Stephen King's book, On Writing. King suggests that writers should "trust the process". If you have a great idea, dive in, start writing, tell the story. Don't worry about plot or how the story will end. Just go for it.King says "Why obsess over how your story will end? Why be such a control freak?" I followed this advice when I wrote The Gaia Wars and it worked really well.


Where can readers follow you?







Twitter:  @kennethgbennett






BLURB taken from Goodreads
DEADLY SECRETS have been buried in the Cascade mountain wilderness for centuries. Hidden. Out of sight and out of mind. Until today… Warren Wilkes, age 13, doesn’t like what a greedy housing developer has done to his peaceful mountain community, so he vandalizes the developer’s property, flees into the wild, and stumbles upon an ancient human skeleton revealed by torrential rain. More than old bones have been exposed, however, and the curious artifact Warren finds makes him question his own identity, and his connection to an ancient terror. A terror destined to rise again and annihilate all that Warren loves. He must fight or see his whole world destroyed.


Available at Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment