Monday 19 December 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - KELSEY MILLER


  

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

Hello! My name is Kelsey Miller. I’m from Pennsylvania, and now am up in Massachusetts for school.

       Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I’ve wanted to be a novelist since I was a kid. Fingers crossed!

3   Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
My book was published four years after I began writing it. I think a large reason for this is that I’ve always been in school, so I could only write during the summers. (I started my book when I was fourteen.)

 What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
I just published my first book, Retribution. It features a vampire who doesn’t drink blood and a werewolf who is forced into his human form whenever he fights the vampire.

5   Who is your publisher? or do you self-publish?
I self-publish! However, I own the publishing rights to my book.

6    What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
So here’s the thing.  I’m definitely going to continue writing in the vampire/paranormal genre since Retribution is the first in a series. But I wouldn’t say that I have any plans to limit myself to one genre. If there’s anything I’ve noticed from writing it’s that I’m constantly coming up with ideas for new books, and these ideas are almost never in the same “genre”. I think I won’t know what genre I will write in until after I’ve finished the Retribution series. I’d like to think that I will become an author who will write in whatever genre she is currently interested in.

7     Where do you get your book plot ideas from?
DUDE. Everywhere. I mean, I get ideas while I’m driving down the road.

8    Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Of course! Although I’m a poor college student so hundreds of free books would be outside my economic means. I would say contact me on goodreads or through email and let me know. If you have a blog or something I’d probably be more likely to.

9      Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Heck yes! At the moment I only have like three, but I’ll definitely read all of them. My favorite part of publishing my book is having people tell me what they think of it. The first random stranger who rated my book was literally one of the coolest things I’ve ever experienced.

1  What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
Well, I suppose there are a couple of factors. Big publishing companies have the means to market books and whip up much interest before the book is actually released. I think the current popular trends in books are also contributing factors. But I think the most important thing that makes a book really good is the author’s interest in it. The author has to write a book the she loves, a book that she would pick up off the shelf. This quality makes the book, I don’t know, honest, or something. You can tell that the author wasn’t just trying to make money or become famous. If a book is “true”, then it’s more likely that it will be marketed by top publishers and be or become a popular trend.

1   Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
Good question! It depends on my level of interest in the book.
Hardcovers: OMG-this-book-is-awesome-I’ll-love-it-forever.
Paperbacks: Yeah, this book is pretty awesome.
E-books: Meh, I just want to know how it ends.

1  What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
Pride & Prejudice. It’s just…perfect. Yes, I’ve read it more than once. In fact, now I want to read it again…

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
Nope, and it’s depressing. This is the problem: Children don’t read the right kind of books in school. Yes, classic literature has its merit, and kids should be exposed to that. But the problem with only reading these books is that children begin to believe that every book is like this. And then they decide that they hate reading because let’s face it, sometimes classic lit can be hard to plough through. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard kids say, “I didn’t even know there were books like this!” when they read something that might be found on the new release shelf of the children’s section. And that’s sad.

1  What do you think about book trailers?
I think they’re pretty nifty, especially since books now have to compete with movies and video games.

1 What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Do NOT stop writing. Writing is hard, and it has to be done by yourself. But you’re not alone; every writer knows how hard it is to keep writing through that wall.
Do NOT let people tell you that your book will never be published. That is crap. With services like createspace and kindle direct publishing you will be able to publish your book, even if it’s not conventionally.
Do NOT write something because you think it will be popular or it is popular. Write about something that interests you.
Do NOT think anything is a stupid idea. You thought it up, it’s probably pretty cool.
Do NOT lose your sanity while writing.

Where can readers follow you?
(this much social media is ridiculous)

No comments:

Post a Comment