Friday 17 February 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - CAT KALEN



Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I was always an avid reader but hadn’t thought about writing until later in life.  I went to university and completed a Business Degree.  I started working in the finance department for Environment Canada, but it was after my hubby was posted up North (population 800) and I ran out of books that I first tried my hand at writing. 

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
When I started taking it seriously and stopped treating it like a hobby.  I joined writers groups, found critique groups/partners, and wrote every single day.  Even though I wasn’t published at the time, I still considered myself a writer.  

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Yes.  It took a lot of time, a lot of work, and a lot of learning.  I wrote and rewrote and continued to hone my craft for years before i sold my fist book.  I started writing seriously in 2000 and sold my first book at the end of 2005.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
I just finished Pride Unleashed, a dark, gritty werewolf tale, Once an enslaved wolf, Pride will stop at nothing to free those still trapped in the master’s underground prison.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I write under three different pen names.  Two of my names are traditionally published at Penguin, Samhain, and Tor and my YA books under Cat Kalen are self published.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
I think this varies but on average I’d say about 6 months.  Coming up with a high concept, unique idea is the hardest I believe.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I’m hoping to write Pride’s Pursuit, the third book in my Wolf’s Pride trilogy and I have this crazy idea floating around in my head for a new series that I want to explore further. 

What genre would you place your books into?
My YA books are definitely paranormal.  Some have even said they were psychological thrillers.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain
chair?
No music for me.  I need complete silence.  After I see the kids off, I work out, shower, eat then hit the computer.  I usually settle in to write around 10 and finish up around 4.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
I think it’s very important to walk away from the work and refuel the well at time.  I love reading, gardening, walking and going to the movies.  I love going out for dinner and drinks with friends.  I love to watch my son play soccer, to bake or shop with my daughter and in the evenings the think I like to do most is hang out with my hubby.. 

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
Ebook. I used a Kobo for over a year now, but the family all chipped in and bought me an IPAD for Christmas!

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
Yes, but I would never say because I wouldn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.  Writing is hard, and what we like and don’t like is subjective.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I have three!

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details? http://www.catkalen.com/blog/

Your web site? http://www.catkalen.com/

Your Twitter details? @catkalen

And any other information you wish to supply?
YABEYOND BLOG  http://www.yabeyond.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment