Tuesday 21 February 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JENNIFER CARSON




What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Jennifer Carson, I was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan and now live in South Sutton, New Hampshire.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Being a writer is something that came to me gradually. I never really considered it as a job I could do. I was always creative though, and I really wanted to work with Jim Henson and the Muppets. That is still my ultimate dream job! I think the stories I write and the characters I create are totally classic muppet fair. When I met Wendy Froud a couple of years ago, she said to me, "Jim would have loved your stuff." That was one of the best moments in my life. Wendy and her husband, Brian Froud are both faerie artists and worked with Jim Henson on The Dark Crystal and several other films.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
Even though I had been writing for magazines and such. It didn't really feel real until my first book, To Find A Wonder,  was out into the world.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Yes. I have my own sewing pattern design business called The Dragon Charmer. I create sewing patterns for fantasy creatures: dragons, faeries, soft animals, etc. I also make one of a kind creatures, but I've slowed down on that to focus on college--which I returned to last January to finish my creative writing degree.

A writing friend and I also started a small press this past summer called Pugalicious Press. We are amazed at the number of really good submissions we've received this first six months, but that also is  a really good example of how quickly the face of publishing is changing.We recently put a call out for short story submissions in the YA historical romance genre. See the call at our website, pugaliciouspress.com!

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Hapenny Magick is my newest title. It is about Maewyn, the littlest Hapenny (a race of little people) who discovers that her guardian is a troll and saves her village from a troll invasion.



Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
To Find A Wonder was published by a small press called L&L Dreamspell. Hapenny Magick was published by Pugalicious Press.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
Definitely more fantasy. I'm working on the sequel to Hapenny Magick right now called Tangled Magick, and I also have the stirrings and a few chapters of a YA fantasy too.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I do have a routine. I need something to nibble on, a drink and quiet! Which mean I have to write when nobody is home, at the library at school, or early in the morning when everyone is still sleeping.

Where can readers follow you?
I have a Facebook page for both Hapenny Magick and To Find A Wonder, I am on Twiiter also: @JenniferCarson

I also have a website at www.findawonder.com, and coming soon, HapennyMagick .com and a blog at www.jennifercarson.wordpress.com.

You can find an author page on Goodreads and Amazon as well.


Jennifer Carson Author-- To Find A Wonder and New! Hapenny Magick
 Visit:      www.findawonder.com 
Designer-- www.thedragoncharmer.com
 Editor-- www.pugaliciouspress.com 
Blog-- http://jennifercarson.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment