Monday 20 February 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - STEPHEN GAWN




What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

My name is Stephen Gawn and I was born in Chicago, IL. I currently live in the Chicago land area.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Well actually no. I never really thought of myself as a writer… I don’t really know what I wanted to be. Maybe an inventor, football player, hockey player or professor of awesomeness… that last one didn’t work out that well…

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
Someone actually called me a writer one day when they heard I was writing a book but I don’t at all consider myself one. I feel I am just a giant nerd who is a pain in the butt that likes to write.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
My first book took me about two years to publish. Making the decision to self-publish was a bit difficult but I feel I made the right choice.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I work in the deaf community teaching children who have behavioral problems.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
The name of my latest book is The Four Elements: The Fallen Knights. I would summarize my book as an epic action adventure filled with puzzles, mystery, and murder.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I decided to go with self publishing because I honestly never thought someone would publish my book. I might still give it a try. Who knows maybe that “money tree” I planted in my backyard might actually grow too. If I can remember where I planted it…

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
It depends on what I’m trying to write. If it’s a fantasy novel it could take me a few months.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I think you should expect action packed adventures…

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
This book is part of a series and I hope to be finished with my next book soon.

What genre would you place your books into?
Action adventure fantasy

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
This is an interesting question. I feel like someone is asking me which of my kids do I like better. Well I am in luck because I don’t have kids but if I had to choose I would pick Mr. Ruji of course! I picked Mr. Ruji because he is much more then he seems…

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
If I had to choose to be one of the characters in my book I would course pick Gavin. Gavin is also another character I feel he has hidden talent. but you’ll just have to wait and see what it is. :0) What’s the point of writing with out the fun?

How long have you been writing? and who or what inspired you to write?
I have been writing since I was a kid. Nothing really stuck. I quit. I gave up. I thought I was fighting the tides. Then it happened… I lost my friend… things where lost, I was lost. I lost all my other friends and I was alone. When a friend takes his own life it’s hard to put things back together. So I wrote. Silly stories wild stories even ones that didn’t make sense. I just wrote so I could make the pain go away and then time passed. The pain slowly faded, it didn’t disappear and I don’t ever think it will but from all the pain came a story. The story wasn’t good but I thought there could be something there that would be great so I kept at it. I wrote none stop. I made thousands of mistakes but I thought writing it and finish the story was like giving myself a new start. Now I found something to strive for. I am the story and the story is me.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
My plot ideas come from the world of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I feel that there is more to the legendary hero that could be told.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Sure why not! Who hates gifts? If you hate gifts remind me not to give you one. :O)

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Not really. I just want people to read my book and get excited about it.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
Nope. Hey the world is tough. I don’t expect everyone to love my work. It is what it is. It’s all good. But remember there is no need to be a giant butt when you don’t like something.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Sure don’t we all in one way. I think its impossible to not base characters on people you know.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
Well sure but the only way you will learn about them is by reading my book! :O)

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
I think that we are to eager to grow up so fast that we take for granted the times its ok to be imaginative. Personally I am a daydreamer. I still daydream and drift off then all of a sudden I am writing down ideas. I think too much technology limits imagination but we are growing as people hopefully we can keep imagination growing.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
Nope…well there are some things I would love to change but sometimes you need to sacrifice things for the good of the story.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Just write. Have fun and if people don’t like it then forget them. Write for yourself otherwise what’s the point!

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
Stephen Gawn is my pen name…… :O)

Any other information you wish to provide or anything you wish to say?
 I would just like to say that I enjoy doing this interview and hope to hear you guys as well as your ideas and thoughts about my novel.

Remember:
 “Always prepare for change” – Phillip Waldgrave.
 Stephen Gawn

Thankyou for taking time to take part in the Interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment