Tuesday 14 February 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - YASMINA KOHL





What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?

Yasmina Kohl, I was born in Vancouver, Washington, USA. I live in Ocean Shores, Washington, USA.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I have always written little stories and things for myself but I actually wanted to be a physical therapist. I think their called physiotherapist in England.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I still don’t actually. I’ve just written something that people convinced me to put on bound paper and sell, oh and upload to Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, and a few other places.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
It took 10 years and a drunken St. Patrick’s Day promise to a friend for me published my first story under my own imprint.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I have a day job with the local Post Office.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My first books is titled Cassandra’s Heart. It’s the first book in the Magical Ways series. 20 words or less…um Girl looses boy, girl finds new boy, girl’s family scare boy, goddess scares girl, girl almost dies, girl gets boy.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
ICB publishing is my publisher, who is actually me.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
The second book Saver’s Savior was the easiest to write. It will be out in the next few months. The hardest to write so far has been We Three, I just can’t seem to get the story to end.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
Most likely more of the same.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
There will be six more books in The Magical Ways series, and then there will be a trilogy sometime in the next year called The Shamrock Lovers.

What genre would you place your books into?
Cassandra’s Heart is extra spicy romance or Romantica. The second book is similar in “heat level” then the rest of the series gets a lot hotter.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I wrote the first book for my husband and I years ago as a way to uuuhhhh put the spark back so to

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
I would love to be Melissa Carter, her sense of self that is so assured. She knows herself and won’t let anyone dictate who she will be. I try to be like that but I do cave on things that I should stand firm on. Also her sense of style is awesome and if I was six inches taller or 30 pounds lighter I would wear everything she wears.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I’ve been writing off and on since I was a teenager. Not sure how to answer the inspiration part. I can’t really pinpoint any one person or thing. Cassandra’s Heart was written for my husband but also for myself.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration?
The evil little plot bunnies that live in my head. Did I mention the carnivorous part, yeah they have eaten my muses a couple times, so I have a plot idea but no muse to flesh out the idea.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
Locked bedroom, headphones, music cranked, munchies close at hand, drink close at hand, the type of drink depends on the time of day and a sign on the door that says enter upon pain of death.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
My husband reads them and a couple friends read them. I take and run them threw a site called Grammerly and then I give it to another friend who takes her scary red pen to it and then I make all the red go away.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
So far I’ve only had about 5 reviews so yes I’ve read them all. I will most likely keep reading them.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
With this book it was very hard. Cassandra’s Heart was originally Second Door on the Right. I had a great cover photo that I loved taken by a friend. But everyone said it looked like a mystery and that nothing said romance/sex/erotica about the title or cover. As for the current cover, it was just a girl I was willing to put on the cover of my book. And I did the whole book cover to cover.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
I read mostly NCIS related stuff, NCIS fan-fiction and watch TV, both NCIS shows.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
*hides* Um yes. All of my characters are based of facets of my husband and my personalities.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
I like the ebooks because they are so handy but I love to sit back and flip pages. I am very much a Gemini, half and half never in the same world.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I’m currently reading your interview questions. J  So far so good. I am so busy with the book that I don’t have much time for reading other things right now.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
NEVER!

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I do use a pen name because of my  j. o. b.

Where can readers follow you?

Your web site?
www.yasminakohl.com

Your facebook page?

Your Goodreads author page?

Your Twitter
yasminakohl

1 comment:

  1. Jeanz,
    Thank you for having me and my book.
    I appreciate you letting me hang out for the day.

    ReplyDelete