Tuesday 10 April 2012

GUEST POST BY THOMAS WINSHIP




Hello everyone! I’m Thomas Winship, author of Vaempires: Revolution and Vaempires: White Christmas. Both books are part of a new ongoing vampire series that explores the question: what if vampires evolved?

As you might expect, I’m a voracious reader. In fact, the only thing I dislike about writing is that it cuts into my reading time. The numbers speak for themselves­: in 2007 and 2008, while writing my first (unpublished) novel, I read 83 and 138 books, respectively. In 2009 and 2010, when I did very little writing, the numbers were 240 and 318. In 2011, while writing both vaempires books, I read 85 books; the majority of which were read in the first part of the year before I began writing in earnest.
So, what do I read? Fiction, fiction, and more fiction (fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and mysteries, mostly). I read for pleasure, pure and simple, and fiction provides that. I’m a bit obsessive. My library is four thousand books strong and continues to grow. There are currently eighty authors of whom I buy and read everything they publish (alas, none of them has read one of my books). I have spreadsheets that help me manage it all.
And lists. I love lists. If you checked out my blog during the end-of-year holidays, you saw lists and lists. One list I didn’t share, however, was my list of favorite novels… so I’d like to share that list—along with some related thoughts—with you:
#1. Stephen King – It. If you’ve never read it, you should. Immediately. Don’t let the size scare you. If you were unfortunate enough to see the movie, wipe it from your memory. The book is simply amazing. I’m still waiting for a sequel, so if any of you know Mr. King…
I’ll offer #’s 2-10 in alphabetical order by author:
·         Jack Ketchum – The Girl Next Door. The most disturbing, heart-breaking book I ever read. Not for the feint of heart.
·         Stephen King – Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass. Poor Roland. Poor Susan. I wish King had written the rest of the series from this point forward. The comics are doing it now, but it’s not the same.
·         Stephen King – The Stand. It could happen.
·         Stephen King – The Talisman. More magical and innocent than the sequel, yet still dripping with malice and danger. Will we ever see a third book?
·         Phillip Margolin – Heartstone. The twists at the end are masterful and unexpected.
·         Robert McCammon – Swan Song. Post-apocalyptic perfection.
·         Peter Straub – Koko. Ghost Story gets all the acclaim, but Koko is better.
·         JRR Tolkien – The Lord of the Rings. Do I need to say anything? Well, I do have one comment: the fact that Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn are not present when Frodo departs for the Undying Lands irks me as much as Chewbacca not receiving a medal after the Battle of Yavin.
·         Timothy Zahn – Heir To the Empire. Timothy Zahn saved the Star Wars franchise. Mara Jade is the best Expanded Universe character ever (and a top SW character, period). Whoever made the decision to kill her (and whoever approved it) should be jettisoned out of the nearest airlock.
So, there you have it. My all-time faves. I’d love to hear what yours are. Comment here, stop by my website, or drop an email. I’d also love to hear from you if you check out Vaempires: Revolution. Below are some links where you can find me:

As a final note: I’d like to thank all of you for stopping in and offer a special thank you to Sandra for allowing me to be a guest blogger. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks again, Sandra. I'll stop in throughout the day to respond to any comments.

    ReplyDelete