Thursday 8 November 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - SCOTT JOHNSON



What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Scott Johnson. I was born in Provo, Utah, but have lived in California as well. I currently reside in Utah County.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I gained a great love for writing in elementary school. My parents, teachers and grandparents saw that love and encouraged me to develop my talents. I can’t say I wanted to be a writer growing up, because my other passion is health and I wanted to do something in the health field. But, I never quit writing short stories, poetry and articles for web and print.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is titled “Jeremy’s Christmas Journey.” For this book I also produced an accompanying musical CD. To summarize my book in 20 words or less I would say it is an inspiring story about overcoming life’s challenges and finding faith in Christ.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
My publisher is Cedar Fort, Inc., though I have self-published before. There are advantages and disadvantages to both publishing methods.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
Of the two books I have written my favourite is “Jeremy’s Christmas Journey” because I believe it has great potential to make a positive impact in people’s lives’. All of us struggle at some point with adversity or challenges, and how we respond to those challenges often determines who we become. “Jeremy’s Christmas Journey” vividly demonstrates how we can wade through challenges and become stronger from them in the end.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
I originally wrote “Jeremy’s Christmas Journey” as a short story for my family to enjoy at Christmas. I love Christmas stories and the spirit felt at Christmas-time. While attending the play “The Forgotten Carols” by Michael McLean I had the idea to expand the short story and incorporate music. From there I believe I received a lot of inspiration from God as I wrote the rest of the story and penned song lyrics.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
Yes. I have my family—particularly my parents and wife—read my books. I also read it to my children and a few friends read this one before I sent it to the publisher.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
I appreciate feedback on my books and so I attempt to read all the reviews I can find. This provides me valuable feedback as I consider future projects. I especially enjoy reading a review that includes how my book impacted a person’s life.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
I generally decide the main character traits before writing the book, but I add additional character traits as the character and story evolves in my mind.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Yes. The grandparents in “Jeremy’s Christmas Journey” are based on a mixture of traits I saw in my own grandparents. I also believe that my own life experiences with adversity influenced this book.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I guess I am old fashioned because I still enjoy a physical copy of books, particularly hardbacks. Hardbacks last longer and make a nice addition to the bookshelf. My preference for physical copies is also influenced by the fact that I spend so many hours each day in front of a computer, that it is a nice escape to unwind reading a book on the couch.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
I am not sure that children are encouraged enough to read and use their imagination at school. I believe that sometimes we focus so much on the academics, like mathematics, science and language, that we ignore the creative side of children. I personally have encouraged my children to be creative and explore their dreams. I believe all my children are working to discover their creative side. One already is writing her own short stories and would like to explore a career as an author, while another enjoys creating her own music.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Don’t get discouraged. The publishing industry is a tough business and rejection is almost guaranteed. Keep working toward your dream and explore all alternatives to make it happen. The only limits we have are those we place on ourselves.

Your Web Site: authorscott.com, jeremyschristmasjourney.com
Your Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/author.scott.johnson
Your Goodreads Author Page? http://www.goodreads.com/AuthorScott
Your Twitter Details? DocScottJohnson

No comments:

Post a Comment