Tuesday 10 September 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEWS - JEFFREY MOORE, CINDY C. BENNETT & SHERRY GAMMON


 What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Jeffery Moore: I was born in West Germany and live in Massachusetts
Cindy C Bennett: I was born in Utah and have lived there my whole life.
Sherry Gammon: I was born in Lansing, Michigan, and now live in Upstate NY

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
JM: I didn’t always want to be a writer. I thought I’d retire in the Military like my father.
CCB: I’ve wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember. It just took me a while to get up the courage to actually give it a try.
SG: Same as Cindy!

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
CCB: I think I’ve always considered myself a writer. I just didn’t consider myself an author until my first big month of book sales. Then I felt legit.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
JM: I work full time for a global IT organization.
CCB: Writing is my fulltime work.
SG: I did work at McDonalds (they don’t pay those poor kids enough!), but once my books started taking off, I quit (insert happy dance here!).

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
CCB: I think we can all agree on this one. The book is titled The Experiment. Summary: Illegal triplets search for their missing parents, and along the way discover they have the unique ability to morph.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
CCB: I’ve done both. I’ve published 2 books through Sweetwater Books and 1 through Noble YA, and the rest are self-published, which I prefer.
SG: Self-publish.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
JM: For me it typically takes four months from the time I start to the time I’m finished with edits.
CCB: It depends on how feverishly the idea has taken hold. I’d say around six months on average.
SG: It depends on the book. Sometimes the ideas flow like hot butter, other times I think the butter’s frozen!

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
JM: Easiest would be The Untouched and the hardest would be Jericho Solus because of the research involved.
CCB: Easiest was Heart on a Chain, hardest was Rapunzel Untangled—because I had a deadline, and I don’t work well under pressure. The creativity closes off.
SG: Easiest was Not So Easy (Hot butter). Hardest was Unbelievable, book two in my series (frozen solid butter).  I rewrote it four or five times before I fell in love with the story.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
Jeffrey Moore: The current book I’m working on is speculative fiction aimed at a broad audience—from YA to adult
CCB: My WIP is contemporary YA, which is probably where you’ll find most of my books. I really enjoy writing YA.
SG: I’m working on book three of my Port Fare series titled Unbearable, which is contemporary YA. It is coming along very well and I am almost finished the first draft.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
JM: Following the story I’m currently working on, I’ll move to Fifth World, the second book of a series I started with Fourth World.
CCB: I’m mostly finished with a book called The End of Feeling, which I hope to release in October. It’s a stand-alone.
SG: Aside from my Port Fare series, I am working on a short story for a Christmas anthology titled Loving Marigold, which is about a witch. I’m also working on a how-to book about self-publishing with Cindy C Bennett. Then I’m going to take a nap!

What genre would you place your books into?
JM: Speculative fiction and low fantasy with undercurrents of romance and mystery. With Jericho Solus, I used a heavy dose of historical fiction.
CCB: All are YA, some contemporary, a few paranormal, a few fantasy/fairytale type books.
SG:  YA contemporary and YA fantasy. I’d live to try NA fiction too.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
JM: It’s what I like to read most.
CCB: Like Jeff, it’s what I like to read most, with the exception of YA dystopian. I’m not sure if I will ever attempt to tackle that genre as much as I love it.
SG: Jeff and Cindy made me ;)

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
JM: The Keepers because it’s my first book and the story I’m most attached to.
CCB: Probably either Geek Girl because I love the sarcasm of the heroine, or Heart on a Chain because I wrote it for my daughters. Or The Experiment because it was such a fun, unique way to write a book and I’m very proud of the finished product.
SG: Not so Easy is easily my favorite. I love the raw emotion of the story. I feel it is my best writing yet. It’s a story of courage and hope for those who desperately need courage and hope.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
JM: My favorites so far are Jacobi and Olivia from Whispers of Razari. I really like how each of them struggles to understand their past and how they become close as the story develops.
CCB: Probably Jen from Geek Girl because she changes the most of all my characters, kicking and screaming the whole way.
SG: I like Max from Not So Easy. I loved watching him grow and change as his reality was awakened. I also love Maggie in Unlovable. She is a fighter, and I love that in people.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
JM: Jericho Solus because he knows what he wants and he’ll stop at nothing to get it. I love his determination.
CCB: Niahm from Immortal Mine, because she’s immortal, and will always be young and thin, no matter how much she eats. And she gets to spend her immortality with her soul mate.
SG: Tess. She is the main female character in Unbearable. I’d choose her because she gets to spend forever with Booker (the main male in the story) and I LOVE Booker<3

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
JM: I’ve been writing stories for twenty years. My inspiration is my wife, Cathy.
CCB: As long as I can remember, but my passion for writing came when a high school teacher gave us daily “10 Minute Writings” we had to do. It was a great creative flow, and quickly became my favorite part of each day.
SG: I started writing at 12. Things were going on around me that I had no control over. I dealt with them by writing poetry. My love for story writing grew from there.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
JM: I’m a morning person so I use an hour and a half each morning to write while everyone else is asleep.
Cindy C Bennett: I’m exactly opposite of Jeff, being a night person. I write when I can, but I really do most of my writing between 10 pm and 4 am. No music, but usually the TV is on. Helps me pass time when my brain freezes up.
SG: I too write at night. No TV, no music. I do use music to set a mood though. If I need to write a romantic or intense scene, I’ll play the appreciate music to help get me in the right frame of mind.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
JM: I’m very fortunate to have a great group of writing partners. We bounce our ideas off one another. We critique. We edit. And we review.
CCB: I can only echo Jeff as we belong to the same critique group. I seriously don’t know how I’d write without them.
SG: Ditto Jeff and Cindy. We are in a group together, which is how The Experiment was born. The group has taught me so much. They are invaluable in my writing. If I were rich I’d fly all of them and their spouses to Paris for a week!

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
CCB: Of course. If I’m asking them for the favor of a review—good or bad—I’m more than happy to send them the copy to review.
SG: Yes

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
CCB: I try to avoid them. It seems no matter how many good reviews I get, one bad one is enough to put me into a slump. I actually get a stomach ache when I’m about to read a review. Somehow I still end up reading them all. It’s important to know what my readers think/feel.
SG: Yes. The good ones and the not so good ones. Great learning tools. I do avoid the mean ones. Sometimes I think people forget we are real live humans.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
CCB: The funniest was a 3-star review on B&N which said nothing more than: The model on the cover is not 17 years old [she was]. What was I supposed to take away from that?
SG: I had one reviewer that started the book, and finished not only the book but posted a review online all within one hour. Seriously?

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
JM: No. To me, we put our books out there. Negative reviews come with the territory.
CCB: Absolutely not. Reviews are opinions, and everyone is entitled to one. As hard as they can be, I agree with Jeff—negative reviews come with the territory.
SG: Nope. I’m a firm believer in Free Speech.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
JM: I choose a title at the beginning though it rarely sticks to the final version.
CCB: I’m the worst at titles. I rarely have a title before I have the book finished, edited, and all but ready to go.
Sherry Gammon: I enjoy coming up with titles and cover concepts. I’ve toyed with the idea of taking some classes at the local college in graphic design.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
JM: I like to work off an outline and a draft synopsis
CCB: I think The Experiment is the only book where I’ve worked from an outline thanks to Jeff, who wrote the outline and kept rewriting it as Sherry and I took the story in different directions. Poor Jeff was probably ready to tear his hair out by the time we were finished. I always write by the seat of my pants, so to speak.
SG: Outline! I change it as I go along, but it helps me stay focused.

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
JM: A story that doesn’t have holes and leave me wondering why there are parts that were never tied off.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
JM: Writing is my hobby.
CCB: Other than writing (which I love), I like to read and ride my Harley, or just spend time with the family.
SG: Aside from writing, I enjoy fooling around on with Photoshop.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
JM: Low fantasy
CCB: YA dystopian.
SG: YA romance

How does the writing process work with three authors?
JM: We began with a story plot line/outline and character profiles and then decided that we would each own a character and write every third chapter from that character’s POV.
CCB: Which was a lot of fun! Interesting to see what the other two would do with their characters, and mine as she was incorporated into their chapters.
SG: I enjoyed throwing in random ‘stuff,’ animals and plants, in my chapter and watching Jeff try and rein me back in (insert devils’ horns here;}. He’d tell me we can’t make up a bunch of random animals and plants…but I thought that was what Spec Fiction was. LOL ;}

Do you ever disagree on the direction of a character or the plot?
JM: I think there were some disagreements or confusion on the direction, but we worked through it.
CCB: Says Jeff who had to rewrite the outline multiple times because either Sherry or I would have some inspiration and take the story completely off course, requiring a complete revision. Lol.

Do you write alone as a sole author of a book too? If so which do you enjoy most?
JM: I also write solo. I think each, solo and co-authoring, has challenges. Co-authoring is a nice break from writing solo.
CCB: We all write solo as well. Jeff and I co-authored another book called Whispers of Razari, and Sherry and I are in a couple of anthologies together though we didn’t co-author any story. I like having the complete control of the story when writing solo, but I have to say I very much enjoyed this experience as well.
SG: I prefer writing alone, but I did enjoy the diversion. What I’d really like to do is write a story with a few authors with NO outline. Just a general statement say: “We will go from Point A to Point B in this story.” Then let each author write whatever they wanted! I think that would be a lot of fun. The crazier the better!

How do you decide who writes which part of the book?
JM: In our story, it was actually fairly easy. We each chose a character that appealed to us.

If there's a disagreement, say about plot, title, cover etc how do you solve it?
JM: Communication and compromise.
CCB: And lots of tears. Just kidding, there was no crying. At least, not that I know of . . .
SG: Ummmm, tears?

How do you find your perfect author partner to write with?
CCB: We just happen to all belong to the same critique group, so it seems fate put us together for this book. Good job, fate!

Who decides which name goes first on the book?
CCB: We went with alphabetical by last name.

Do you get together in the same room to do the writing or is it all done via computers?
CCB: Jeff lives in Massachusetts, Sherry lives in New York, and I live in Utah. That would have made it really difficult to be in the same room. The same virtual room???

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
JM: Edgar Allan Poe, Mark Twain, and Pearl Buck.
CCB: Jeff and Sherry, of course. And for the third person the other original member of our critique group, Camelia Miron Skiba.
SG: I’d like to steal Cindy’s answer, but since she has invited us already, I’d choose Victor Hugo, C.S. Lewis, and Stephenie Meyer.

Where can readers follow you?

Your Website ?

Your Facebook Page?

Your Goodreads Author Page?

Your Twitter Details?

And any other information you wish to supply?

The link to the book’s site is: http://theexperimentnovel.blogspot.com/

Thank you Jeffrey Moore, Cindy C. Bennett & Sherry Gammon
 for taking the time to do this Interview!


No comments:

Post a Comment