Thursday 14 May 2015

PROMOTION - THE LAST BOOK EVER WRITTEN BY JONAH KRUVANT


 
Title: The Last Book Ever Written
Author: Jonah Kruvant
Release Date: 28th April 2015

BLURB from Goodreads
In a society where all citizens have computerized chips in their brains and insert needles into their veins to enter a virtual reality, Victor Vale is an officer of the law with great ambitions. When he is assigned a case to go undercover and expose a community of illegal creators, Victor finds himself compelled to write, and for the first time, begins questioning the world around him. As he searches for answers, Victor slowly begins to unravel hidden truths about society, and even uncovers an astonishing secret from his own past."


PURCHASE LINKS

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Jonah Kruvant. I grew up in Montclair, New Jersey, and I live in Greenwich Village, New York City.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
In high school, I wanted to be a film director. Then in college, I became inspired by a professor of mine to become a writer. The idea that I could create a story out of nothing was nothing short of magical to me.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Yes, I work in business at the moment, and I also teach.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
My publisher is PanAm Books, based in my hometown.

What genre would you place your books into?
My first novel, The Last Book Ever Written, is a dystopian satire.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I came up with an idea and I knew I had to write it.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
My second grade teacher was the first to encourage me to write. I don’t remember this…but my mother does.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
I surround myself with books, film, and theater, but inspiration is not something you can plan. You can never tell when it will come.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I do have a very specific routine. I write in the morning. First, I have breakfast and a cup of coffee. Then I sit down with pen and paper. I find that for first drafts, writing by hand is a must. The subconscious leaks into the conscious mind more fluidly when I put the pen to the page. I’ll write for two or three hours and then go for a walk, wash the dishes, do laundry - something that allows me to process what I just wrote.
For revision, I type up what I handwrote. I find the process of typing conducive to revision, which requires the conscious mind to self-critique.
I then print out what I wrote and physically write on the hard copy with a pen. I type it up again and continue this process over and over. For short stories, I go through at least 10 drafts, maybe 20. I wrote over 30 drafts of my novel.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
I have an “editing team” of close friends who are also writers. We have been critiquing each other’s work for years.

Are character names and place names decided after there creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
I don't give as much thought to character names as I do characters themselves and story. So often names will come later. There are exceptions to this though. In The Last Book Ever Written, one of the character's names is an anagram of a real person.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
Since I was originally a screenwriter, I do outline my books beforehand, and for short stories, I usually have the end already in mind. Then I’ll let the writing flow within the structure I’ve created. I’ve been slowly moving away from this, however, as I continue to write fiction.
For The Last Book Ever Written, I spent six months outlining before writing a word of prose.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
There are several characters in The Last Book Ever Written who are based on real political figures and even celebrities.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
There are several messages in my books. A lot of my work is satirical in some sense, so I often have social and political commentary. I come from a literary background, and my works are imbued with layers of meaning and subtext. In The Last Book Ever Written, there are not only several messages, but quite a few twists, which serve different purposes in the story. A reader who reads it twice will be rewarded with a different experience in his or her second read.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
Steven Millhauser, who was my professor at college, incluenced my writing as a teacher, mentor, and writer. His use of magical realism has inspired much of my work.

What do you think about book trailers?
I love book trailers and am currently working on one for The Last Book Ever Written.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Write.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Miguel Cervantes, Kurt Vonnegut, and Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Where can readers follow you?
Goodreads author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6468071.Jonah_Kruvant

No comments:

Post a Comment